Sunday, May 15, 2011

quick hit: interview with historian darren dochuk

Paul Harvey @ Religion in American History has a two part interview up with Darren Dochuk, the author of From Bible Belt to Sunbelt (New York: W.W. Norton, 2011), another text I drew on for my thesis. Dochuk describes his own research in this way:
While struggling to find a Ph.D. dissertation topic, I read (and loved) Lisa McGirr’s Suburban Warriors and thought more could be done to explain Southern California conservatism, so I set out to do it. My goal was to write a book that embedded evangelicalism in the larger story of post-1930s politics by teasing out its connections to suburbanization, political economy, race relations, and the politics of labor, education, housing, and business. I wanted to thread evangelicalism into mainstream narratives of U.S. political history, which still tend to paint evangelicalism as a sideshow.
Read the rest of the interview over at Religion in American History (part one). Part two can be found here (link updated post Blogger-phut).

No comments:

Post a Comment